Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Asterids: Lamiids: Lamiales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
SYNONYMOUS WITH Flora of North America
SYNONYMOUS WITH Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Northeastern Beardtongue, Hairy Beardtongue
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
Flora of North America
Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Native north of the Carolinas
CLICK HERE to see a map, notes, and images from Weakley's Flora of the Southeastern US.
Click here to see a map showing all occurrences known to SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria. (Zoom in to see more detail.)
Basal rosette & opposite
Purplish/ Pale violet whitish inside
2-lipped 5-lobed tubular corolla
4 fertile stamens & 1 bearded staminode
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- All About South Carolina Wildflowers (Midgley, 1999) p216
- Wildflowers in the Field and Forest: Northeastern US (Clemants & Gracie, 2006) p054
- Wildflowers of Tennessee (Carman, 2005) p246
- Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians (Horn, Cathcart, Hemmerly, & Duhl, 2005) p290
- Wildflowers of the Southern Mountains (Smith, 1998) p154
If a search such as "Carex leptalea var. leptalea" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "Carex leptalea".
Or, to minimize chances of a misspelling, try just "Carex le".
Less is more: If "pencil flower" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "pencil".