Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Asterids: Lamiids: Lamiales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Northeastern Beardtongue, Hairy Beardtongue
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
Native north of the Carolinas
NEW! Click here to see a map from Weakley's Flora of the Southeastern US showing range and abundance.
Click here to see a map showing all occurrences known to SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria. (Zoom in to see more detail.)
Basal rosette & opposite
Purplish/ Pale violet whitish inside
2-lipped 5-lobed tubular corolla
4 fertile stamens & 1 bearded staminode
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- All About South Carolina Wildflowers p216
- Wildflowers in the Field and Forest p054
- Wildflowers of Tennessee p246
- Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians p290
- Wildflowers of the Southern Mountains p154