Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Monocots: Dioscoreales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Check out EDDMapS.org to see where this has been reported.
SYNONYMOUS WITH Flora of North America
Air Yam, Air Potato
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
James H. Miller, USDA Forest Service, Bugwood.org bug_9005052
Aerial tubers to 5" (12cm) long, spherical to ovoid, smooth with dimples, per A Field Guide for the Identification of Invasive Plants in Southern Forests (Miller, Chambliss, & Lowenstein, 2010).
USDA APHIS PPQ - Oxford, North Carolina , USDA APHIS PPQ, Bugwood.org bug_1148133
Leaf blade broadly ovate-cordate, glabrous, entire, apex long-acuminate, per Flora of North America.
Karen Brown, University of Florida, Bugwood.org bug_5344015b
Flowers rarely, with fragrant spikes to 4" long hanging from leaf axils, per Invasive Plants, Guide to Identification, Impacts and Control (Kaufman & Kaufman, 2007).
Habitat: Disturbed forests, thickets, and banks, per Weakley's Flora
Non-native: Africa & Asia
Rare or waif(s)
CLICK HERE to see a map, notes, and images from Weakley's Flora of the Southeastern US.
Click here to see a map showing all occurrences known to SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria. (Zoom in to see more detail.)
This plant is causing problems in natural areas outside its native range, according to authorities such as:
- Alabama Invasive Plant Council, 2012
- Forest Health Assessment & Applied Sciences Team: New Invaders of the Southeast
- Georgia Exotic Pest Plant Council, 2006
- Tennessee Exotic Pest Plant Council, 2009
- US Forest Service Southern Research Station
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- Invasive Plants, Guide to Identification, Impacts and Control (Kaufman & Kaufman, 2007) p211
- A Field Guide for the Identification of Invasive Plants in Southern Forests (Miller, Chambliss, & Lowenstein, 2010) p062
- New Invaders of the Southeast (Rawlins et al., 2018) p061
If a search such as "Carex leptalea var. leptalea" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "Carex leptalea".
Or, to minimize chances of a misspelling, try just "Carex le".
Less is more: If "pencil flower" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "pencil".
Or try alternate spellings: If "wooly" doesn't work, try "woolly" or just "wool".