Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Asterids: Campanulids: Apiales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Read about Panax trifolius and the rest of Panax from Alan Weakley and the Southern Appalachian Botanical Society.
Read more about American Ginseng at Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
American Ginseng, Sang
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
JK Marlow jkm150412_290
April Pickens County SC
Each leaf is divided into 5 stalked obovate leaflets, the basal pair smaller, per Wildflowers of the Southern Mountains.
JK Marlow jkm160702_147
July Jackson County NC
Slow-growing but long-lived, with a potential life expectancy of ~ 60 years, per Wildflowers & Plant Communities of the Southern Appalachian Mountains and Piedmont.
JK Marlow jkm180828_4338
August Jackson County NC
Berry-like drupes develop in late summer, ripening to crimson-red, per Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians.
Polygamo-dioecious [mostly dioecious, but with some bisexual flowers]
Native to the Carolinas & Georgia
Habitat: cove forests, mesic hardwood forests, generally in nutrient-rich forests though tending to avoid the richest coves, per Weakley's Flora
NEW! Click here to see a map from Weakley's Flora of the Southeastern US showing range and abundance.
Click here to see a map showing all occurrences known to SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria. (Zoom in to see more detail.)
Sepals obsolete or minute
Inflorescence a terminal solitary umbel, usually below the leaves
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- Gardening with the Native Plants of Tennessee p155
- Great Smoky Mountains Wildflowers p040
- Guide to the Wildflowers of SC p184
- Newcomb's Wildflower Guide p286
- Field Guide to the Rare Plants of Georgia p253
- Wildflowers of the Atlantic Southeast p158
- Wild Flowers of NC, 1st edition p125
- Wild Flowers of NC, 2nd edition p163
- Wildflowers of Tennessee p172
- Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians p207
- Wildflowers & Plant Communities of the Southern Appalachian Mountains and Piedmont p417
- Wildflowers of the Southern Mountains p110