Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Asterids: Ericales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Read more about Smooth Phlox at Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
Mike Strickland mst061407_pglaberrima
Leaves firm, linear to narrowly lanceolate, narrowed to a tapering tip, per Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians.
Mike Strickland mst061407b_pglaberrima
Anthers and style show at the end of the corolla tube, per Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians.
Native to the Carolinas & Georgia
Documented growing wild in GA NC SC
Common (uncommon in Coastal Plain, uncommon in NC, rare in NC Coastal Plain)
5-lobed salverform corolla
5 exserted stamens
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- All About South Carolina Wildflowers p220
- Atlantic Coastal Plain Wildflowers p101
- Gardening with Native Plants of the South p163
- Gardening with the Native Plants of Tennessee p159
- Newcomb's Wildflower Guide p248?
- Southern Appalachian Wildflowers p162
- Wildflowers of the Eastern United States p075
- Wild Flowers of NC, 2nd edition p209
- Wildflowers of Tennessee p204?
- Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians p241
- Wildflowers of the Southern Mountains p134