Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Rosids: Fabids: Rosales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Read more about Climbing Prairie Rose at Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
Climbing Prairie Rose
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
Richard and Teresa Ware rtw_rosa_setigera_2
Tolerant of a wide range of moisture conditions from moist to drought, per Gardening with the Native Plants of Tennessee.
Richard and Teresa Ware rtw_r_setigera_mchx_6
The 5 wide petals are about 1" long and notched at the tip, per Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians.
Subshrub; Woody vine
Native to North Carolina & Georgia, or some portions thereof
Documented growing wild in GA NC SC
Look for it on streambanks, in pastures, per Weakley's Flora
IS THE PLANT "ARMED"?
Stems armed with many small prickles along the internodes
Odd-pinnately compound: 3(5) leaflets
Stipules conspicuous, narrow, entire or remotely toothed, mostly adnate
5 united sepals
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- Gardening with Native Plants of the South p085
- Gardening with the Native Plants of Tennessee p259
- Native Alternatives to Invasive Plants p111
- Native Shrubs and Woody Vines of the Southeast p068
- Newcomb's Wildflower Guide p318
- Wildflowers of Tennessee p121
- Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians p155
- Woody Plants of the Southeastern US: A Winter Guide p302