Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Asterids: Lamiids: Gentianales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Read more about Common Milkweed at Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
See diagrams of milkweed flower structure at Wayne's Word.
SYNONYMOUS WITH Floristic Synthesis of North America. BONAP (Kartesz, 2021)
SYNONYMOUS WITH VASCULAR FLORA OF THE CAROLINAS (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968) 157-01-010:
Asclepias syriaca FAMILY Asclepiadaceae
SYNONYMOUS WITH Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
Richard and Teresa Ware rtw_a_syriaca_common
Corolla lobes reflexed; corona horns more or less equaling the hoods, per Vascular Flora of the Carolinas (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968).
JK Marlow s050709_a
July Wise County VA
Leaves oblong to slightly oval, 4-6" long, acute at the tip, hairy beneath, per Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians (Horn, Cathcart, Hemmerly, & Duhl, 2005).
Floristic Synthesis of North America. BONAP (Kartesz, 2021)
Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Habitat: Prairies, floodplains, pastures, roadsides, disturbed areas, per Weakley's Flora
Native to the Mountains & Piedmont of NC
Common in Mountains & Piedmont of NC (rare or waifs elsewhere in GA-NC-SC)
CLICK HERE to see a map, notes, and images from Weakley's Flora of the Southeastern US.
Click here to see a map showing all occurrences known to SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria. (Zoom in to see more detail.)
DOES THE PLANT HAVE "MILKY SAP"?
Has milky sap (latex)
Leaves have petioles.
5-lobed corolla, lobes reflexed
Flowers in 2-6 umbels from upper leaf axils
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- All About South Carolina Wildflowers (Midgley, 1999) p110
- Newcomb's Wildflower Guide (Newcomb, 1977) p264
- Wildflowers of the Atlantic Southeast (Cotterman, Waitt, & Weakley, 2019) p363
- Wildflowers of the Eastern United States (Duncan & Duncan, 1999) p068
- Wildflowers in the Field and Forest: Northeastern US (Clemants & Gracie, 2006) p110
- Wild Flowers of NC, 2nd edition (Justice, Bell, & Lindsey, 2005) p203
- Wildflowers of Tennessee (Carman, 2005) p192
- Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians (Horn, Cathcart, Hemmerly, & Duhl, 2005) p229
- Wildflowers & Plant Communities of the Southern Appalachian Mountains and Piedmont (Spira, 2011) p337
- Wildflowers of the Southern Mountains (Smith, 1998) p128
If a search such as "Carex leptalea var. leptalea" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "Carex leptalea".
Or, to minimize chances of a misspelling, try just "Carex le".
Less is more: If "pencil flower" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "pencil".