Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Asterids: Campanulids: Dipsacales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Read more about Perfoliate Horse-gentian at Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
Perfoliate Horse-gentian, Perfoliate Tinker's-weed, Wild Coffee, Feverwort
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
Richard and Teresa Ware rtw_triosteum_perfoliatum
Herbage soft gray-hairy. Flowers purplish-red or greenish-yellow, per Wildflowers of the Southern Mountains.
Richard and Teresa Ware rtw_t_perfoliatum_horseg2
Leaves primarily connate-perfoliate, the joined base 3-9cm wide, per Weakley's Flora (2015).
Native to the Carolinas & Georgia
Documented growing wild in GA NC SC
Red/ Brownish-red/ Greenish-yellow
5-lobed tubular corolla
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- Newcomb's Wildflower Guide p256
- Wildflowers of the Atlantic Southeast p364
- Wildflowers of the Eastern United States p100
- Wildflowers of Tennessee p268
- Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians p311
- Wildflowers of the Southern Mountains p167