Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Asterids: Campanulids: Apiales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Read more about American Water-pennywort at Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
SYNONYMOUS WITH VASCULAR FLORA OF THE CAROLINAS (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968) 140-01-005:
Hydrocotyle americana FAMILY Apiaceae
SYNONYMOUS WITH Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
JK Marlow jkm0508b_17
August Transylvania County NC
Pisgah National Forest: Pisgah Ranger District
Leaves thick, suborbicular to reniform, crenate or shallowly crenate-lobed, per Vascular Flora of the Carolinas (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968).
Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Native to the Carolinas
Rare south of VA
CLICK HERE to see a map, notes, and images from Weakley's Flora of the Southeastern US.
Click here to see a map showing all occurrences known to SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria. (Zoom in to see more detail.)
Simple (not peltate)
Petioles 1-6cm long
Flowers in simple, axillary umbels
Schizocarp of two mericarps
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- Guide to the Wildflowers of SC (Porcher & Rayner, 2001) p114
- Newcomb's Wildflower Guide (Newcomb, 1977) p206
- Wildflowers of the Atlantic Southeast (Cotterman, Waitt, & Weakley, 2019) p120
- Wildflowers of Tennessee (Carman, 2005) p178
- Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians (Horn, Cathcart, Hemmerly, & Duhl, 2005) p215
- Wildflowers of the Southern Mountains (Smith, 1998) p112
If a search such as "Carex leptalea var. leptalea" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "Carex leptalea".
Or, to minimize chances of a misspelling, try just "Carex le".
Less is more: If "pencil flower" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "pencil".
Or try alternate spellings: If "wooly" doesn't work, try "woolly" or just "wool".