Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Monocots: Commelinids: Poales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Learn more about Eriocaulon from the Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
Ten-angle Pipewort, Hat Pin, Hard Pipewort
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
JK Marlow jkm100620_011
June Mecklenburg County NC
UNCC McMillan Greenhouse
Leaves basal, linear, per Wildflowers of the Eastern United States.
Richard and Teresa Ware rtw_e_decangulare_7
Flowers in dense head on leafless stem, each petal lobe w a jet-black gland, per Wildflowers of the Eastern United States.
Patrick D. McMillan pdme_decangulare
Heads feel hard and knotty when squeezed between finger and thumb, per Weakley's Flora.
Native to the Carolinas & Georgia
Documented growing wild in GA NC SC
Common in Coastal Plain (uncommon to rare elsewhere)
4 stamens in staminate flowers
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- Atlantic Coastal Plain Wildflowers p133
- Guide to the Wildflowers of SC p317
- Wildflowers of the Atlantic Southeast p199
- Wildflowers of the Carolina Lowcountry p190
- Wildflowers of the Eastern United States p157
- Wildflowers of the Sandhills Region p175