Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Asterids: Campanulids: Apiales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Read more about Heartleaf Golden Alexanders at Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
SYNONYMOUS WITH Floristic Synthesis of North America. BONAP (Kartesz, 2021)
SYNONYMOUS WITH VASCULAR FLORA OF THE CAROLINAS (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968) 140-14-001:
Zizia aptera FAMILY Apiaceae
SYNONYMOUS WITH Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Heartleaf Golden-Alexanders, Heartleaf Alexanders
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
JK Marlow jkm190413_7288
April Rabun County GA
Each umbellet's central flwr staminate & pedicelled, or pistillate & sessile, per Weakley's Flora (2018).
JK Marlow jkm190413_7290
April Rabun County GA
Basal leaves simple, long-petioled, w cordate base; stem lvs 1- or 2-ternate, per Wildflowers of the Southern Mountains (Smith, 1998).
Floristic Synthesis of North America. BONAP (Kartesz, 2021)
Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Native to the Carolinas & Georgia
Common (uncommon in Carolina Coastal Plain) (rare in GA Coastal Plain)
CLICK HERE to see a map, notes, and images from Weakley's Flora of the Southeastern US.
Click here to see a map showing all occurrences known to SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria. (Zoom in to see more detail.)
Basal leaves simple (rarely 3-parted or divided); middle & upper stem leaves 3-foliolate
Basal & alternate
Compound umbel with 7-15 rays
Schizocarp of two mericarps
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- All About South Carolina Wildflowers (Midgley, 1999) p287
- Gardening with the Native Plants of Tennessee (Hunter, 2002) p191
- Wildflowers of the Atlantic Southeast (Cotterman, Waitt, & Weakley, 2019) p260
- Wildflowers of the Eastern United States (Duncan & Duncan, 1999) p059
- Wildflowers in the Field and Forest: Northeastern US (Clemants & Gracie, 2006) p170
- Field Guide to the Wildflowers of Georgia (Chafin, 2016) p038
- Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians (Horn, Cathcart, Hemmerly, & Duhl, 2005) p218
- Wildflowers of the Southern Mountains (Smith, 1998) p117
If a search such as "Carex leptalea var. leptalea" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "Carex leptalea".
Or, to minimize chances of a misspelling, try just "Carex le".
Less is more: If "pencil flower" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "pencil".
Or try alternate spellings: If "wooly" doesn't work, try "woolly" or just "wool".