Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Asterids: Campanulids: Asterales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Read more about Savanna Lobelia at Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
SYNONYMOUS WITH VASCULAR FLORA OF THE CAROLINAS (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968) 178-06-005:
Lobelia glandulosa FAMILY Campanulaceae
SYNONYMOUS WITH Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Savanna Lobelia, Glade Lobelia
NameThatPlant has no pictures at this time. You might try this link: Flora of the Southeastern United States
Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Native to the Carolinas & Georgia
Common in Coastal Plain
CLICK HERE to see a map, notes, and images from Weakley's Flora of the Southeastern US.
Click here to see a map showing all occurrences known to SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria. (Zoom in to see more detail.)
DOES THE PLANT HAVE "MILKY SAP"?
Has milky sap (latex)
2-lipped 5-lobed corolla
5 stamens, completely united
Flowers in a terminal raceme
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- Wildflowers of the Atlantic Southeast (Cotterman, Waitt, & Weakley, 2019) p401
- Wildflowers of the Eastern United States (Duncan & Duncan, 1999) p102
- Field Guide to the Wildflowers of Georgia (Chafin, 2016) p144
- Wildflowers of the Southern Mountains (Smith, 1998) p170
- Wildflowers of the Sandhills Region (Sorrie, 2011) p212
- Wildflowers of the Sandhills Region (Sorrie, 2011) p263
If a search such as "Carex leptalea var. leptalea" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "Carex leptalea".
Or, to minimize chances of a misspelling, try just "Carex le".
Less is more: If "pencil flower" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "pencil".