Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Monocots: Liliales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Learn more about Clintonia from the Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
Bluebead-lily, Clinton's Lily, Yellow Clintonia, Yellow Bead Lily
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
Keith Bradley kab_c_borealis_8233
May Swain County NC
Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Tepals dull yellow or greenish-yellow, somewhat spreading and ~ 2/3" long, per Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
Will Stuart wil_6037903909_c6bf79f3ea
May Avery County NC
Underground runners allow a single plant to comprise multiple rosettes, per Wildflowers & Plant Communities of the Southern Appalachian Mountains and Piedmont.
Will Stuart wil_6037904521_82d6567813
May Avery County NC
A short terminal raceme of 3-8 nodding, greenish-yellow flowers, per Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians.
Tim Spira tps_cborealis5
2-5 dark green, glossy, basal leaves, the margins fringed with a few hairs, per Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians.
Will Stuart wil_6038453806_d8391ed95e
August Avery County NC
Fruit a bright blue ovoid berry, per Wildflowers & Plant Communities of the Southern Appalachian Mountains and Piedmont.
Native to North Carolina & Georgia
Documented growing wild in GA NC -
Common (rare in GA)
6 caducous tepals
Flowers in a short terminal raceme
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- Great Smoky Mountains Wildflowers p068
- Newcomb's Wildflower Guide p338
- Southern Appalachian Wildflowers p096
- Wildflowers of the Atlantic Southeast p273
- Wildflowers of the Eastern United States p165
- Wild Flowers of NC, 1st edition p022
- Wild Flowers of NC, 2nd edition p024
- Wildflowers of Tennessee p356
- Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians p411
- Wildflowers & Plant Communities of the Southern Appalachian Mountains and Piedmont p352
- Wildflowers of the Southern Mountains p009