Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Asterids: Lamiids: Gentianales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Read more about Stiff Marsh Bedstraw at Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
INCLUDED WITHIN VASCULAR FLORA OF THE CAROLINAS (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968) 173-10-012:
Galium tinctorium FAMILY Rubiaceae
INCLUDED WITHIN Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Stiff Marsh Bedstraw, Dye Bedstraw, Three-lobed Bedstraw
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
JK Marlow jkm140601_323
May Greenville County SC
Leaves usually 5-6 per node, rarely 4, linear to narrowly oblanceolate, per Vascular Flora of the Carolinas (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968).
JK Marlow jkm140604_039
June Greenville County SC
The only Bedstraw in the southern mtns with 3-lobed flowers, per Wildflowers of the Southern Mountains (Smith, 1998).
Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Native to the Carolinas & Georgia
Common, uncommon, or rare - depending on variety & region
Click here to see a map showing all occurrences known to SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria. (Zoom in to see more detail.)
Whorls of 5-6 (rarely 4)
Sepals usually obsolete
3-4 lobed rotate corolla
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- Newcomb's Wildflower Guide (Newcomb, 1977) p126
- Wildflowers of the Atlantic Southeast (Cotterman, Waitt, & Weakley, 2019) p109
- Wildflowers of the Eastern United States (Duncan & Duncan, 1999) p100
- Wildflowers in the Field and Forest: Northeastern US (Clemants & Gracie, 2006) p352
- Wildflowers of the Southern Mountains (Smith, 1998) p164
- Weeds of Southern Turfgrasses (Murphy et al., 1992) p177
If a search such as "Carex leptalea var. leptalea" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "Carex leptalea".
Or, to minimize chances of a misspelling, try just "Carex le".
Less is more: If "pencil flower" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "pencil".