Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Asterids: Campanulids: Dipsacales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Read more about American Fly-honeysuckle at Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
SYNONYMOUS WITH VASCULAR FLORA OF THE CAROLINAS (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968) 174-02-002:
Lonicera canadensis FAMILY Caprifoliaceae
SYNONYMOUS WITH Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Native to North Carolina & Georgia
CLICK HERE to see a map, notes, and images from Weakley's Flora of the Southeastern US.
Click here to see a map showing all occurrences known to SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria. (Zoom in to see more detail.)
Flowers in peduncled pairs in leaf axils
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- Native Shrubs and Woody Vines of the Southeast (Foote & Jones, 1989) p126
- Newcomb's Wildflower Guide (Newcomb, 1977) p294
- Wildflowers of Tennessee (Carman, 2005) p266
- Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians (Horn, Cathcart, Hemmerly, & Duhl, 2005) p309
- Woody Plants of the Blue Ridge (Lance) p19
- Woody Plants of the Southeastern US: A Winter Guide (Lance, 2004) p199
If a search such as "Carex leptalea var. leptalea" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "Carex leptalea".
Or, to minimize chances of a misspelling, try just "Carex le".
Less is more: If "pencil flower" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "pencil".