Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Basal Angiosperms (flowering plants): Nymphaeales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Learn more about Nuphar from the Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
SYNONYMOUS WITH Floristic Synthesis of North America. BONAP (Kartesz, 2021)
SYNONYMOUS WITH Flora of North America
SYNONYMOUS WITH VASCULAR FLORA OF THE CAROLINAS (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968) 073-01-001b:
Nuphar luteum ssp. sagittifolium FAMILY Nymphaeaceae
SYNONYMOUS WITH Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Narrowleaf Pondlily, Cow-lily, Spatterdock, Bonnets
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
Dan Whitten sdw_nsagittifolia
May Washington County SC
Usually 6 petaloid sepals and numerous small inconspicuous petals, per Vascular Flora of the Carolinas (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968).
Patrick D. McMillan pdmnsagittifoliu_sandyi5
Floating leaf blades 3-6x as long as wide, per Weakley's Flora.
COMPARE aquatic plants
Floristic Synthesis of North America. BONAP (Kartesz, 2021)
Flora of North America
Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Floating-leaved aquatic (rooted); Forb
Habitat: blackwater streams, rivers, and lakes, acid-water ponds, in swift, sluggish, or stagnant water, extending downriver into freshwater tidal areas, per Weakley's Flora
Native to the Carolinas
Uncommon in Carolina Coastal Plain
CLICK HERE to see a map, notes, and images from Weakley's Flora of the Southeastern US.
Click here to see a map showing all occurrences known to SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria. (Zoom in to see more detail.)
5-14 petaloid sepals
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- Gardening with Native Plants of the South (Wasowski & Wasowski, 1994, 2020) p183
- Guide to the Wildflowers of SC, 1st ed. (Porcher & Rayner, 2001) p335
- Guide to the Wildflowers of SC, 2nd ed. (McMillan, Porcher, Rayner, & White; 2022) p480
- Wildflowers of the Eastern United States (Duncan & Duncan, 1999) p012
- Wild Flowers of NC, 2nd edition (Justice, Bell, & Lindsey, 2005) p069?
- Wildflowers of the Southern Mountains (Smith, 1998) p042?
- Wildflowers of the Sandhills Region (Sorrie, 2011) p279
If a search such as "Carex leptalea var. leptalea" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "Carex leptalea".
Or, to minimize chances of a misspelling, try just "Carex le".
Less is more: If "pencil flower" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "pencil".