Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Rosids: Fabids: Malpighiales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
You may also want to check Trees, Shrubs, and Woody Vines of North Carolina
Read more about Bigtooth Aspen at Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
SYNONYMOUS WITH Flora of North America north of Mexico, vol. 7 (2010)
SYNONYMOUS WITH VASCULAR FLORA OF THE CAROLINAS (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968) 051-02-001:
Populus grandidentata FAMILY Salicaceae
SYNONYMOUS WITH Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Bigtooth Aspen, Large-toothed Aspen
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
Ron Lance rwl1141_a
Leaves dark green above, grayish-green below, smooth, 3-4" x 3"; tips acute, per Native Trees of the Southeast, An Identification Guide (Kirkman, Brown, & Leopold, 2007).
Flora of North America north of Mexico, vol. 7
Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Native to the Carolinas & Georgia
Rare in GA-NC-SC
CLICK HERE to see a map, notes, and images from Weakley's Flora of the Southeastern US.
Click here to see a map showing all occurrences known to SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria. (Zoom in to see more detail.)
Flowers in catkins, inflorescence pendulous
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- Identifying Trees: An All-Season Guide to Eastern North America (Williams, 2007) p148
- Landscaping with Native Trees (Sternberg & Wilson, 1995) p190
- Native Alternatives to Invasive Plants p040
- Native Trees of the Southeast, An Identification Guide (Kirkman, Brown, & Leopold, 2007) p308
- Trees of the Southeastern United States (Duncan & Duncan, 1988) p114
- Woody Plants of the Blue Ridge (Lance) p46
- Woody Plants of the Southeastern US: A Winter Guide (Lance, 2004) p246
If a search such as "Carex leptalea var. leptalea" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "Carex leptalea".
Or, to minimize chances of a misspelling, try just "Carex le".
Less is more: If "pencil flower" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "pencil".
Or try alternate spellings: If "wooly" doesn't work, try "woolly" or just "wool".