Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Rosids: Fabids: Rosales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Check out EDDMapS.org to see where this has been reported.
Read more about Rough-fruited Cinquefoil at Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
Rough-fruited Cinquefoil, Sulphur Cinquefoil, Sulphur Five-fingers
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
JK Marlow s090523_h
May Greenville County SC
Leaves palmately compound, stipules pectinate [comb-like] to entire, per Vascular Flora of the Carolinas.
COMPARE leaves of Fragaria and Potentilla
Richard and Teresa Ware rtw_p_recta_sulphur
The 5 petals are pale yellow & shallowly notched on the rounded tip, per Wildflowers of Tennessee.
COMPARE flowers of Cinquefoil and Strawberry species
Richard and Teresa Ware rtw_p_recta_sulphur_2
Sepals 5-10mm long, acute, per Vascular Flora of the Carolinas.
COMPARE sepals and bracts of Cinquefoil and Strawberry species
JK Marlow s050626_f
June Jackson County NC
Blue Ridge Parkway
Leaflets coarsely serrate to narrowly pectinate [comb-like], per Vascular Flora of the Carolinas.
JK Marlow jkm060710_127
July Tucker County WV
Monongahela National Forest
Petals 8-15 mm long, pale (sulphur) yellow, per Weakley's Flora.
Documented growing wild in GA NC SC
Look for it in disturbed areas, per Weakley's Flora
This plant may be causing problems in natural areas outside its native range, according to authorities such as:
Palmately compound: 5-7(9) leaflets
5 united sepals/5 bracts
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- Great Smoky Mountains Wildflowers p074
- Guide to the Wildflowers of SC p390
- Newcomb's Wildflower Guide p240
- Wildflowers of the Atlantic Southeast p267
- Wildflowers of the Eastern United States p026?
- Wild Flowers of NC, 2nd edition p110
- Wildflowers of Tennessee p119
- Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians p152
- Wildflowers of the Southern Mountains p070
- Wildflowers of the Sandhills Region p328