Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Saxifragales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Learn more about Mountain Stonecrop from the Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
SYNONYMOUS WITH Floristic Synthesis of North America. BONAP (Kartesz, 2021)
SYNONYMOUS WITH Flora of North America north of Mexico, vol. 8 (2009)
SYNONYMOUS WITH VASCULAR FLORA OF THE CAROLINAS (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968) 091-01-005:
Sedum ternatum FAMILY Crassulaceae
SYNONYMOUS WITH Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Mountain Stonecrop, Whorled Stonecrop, Three-leaf Stonecrop
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
Richard and Teresa Ware rtw_sedum_ternatum_8
Petals elliptic-lanceolate; filaments white; anthers red or purple, per Flora of North America.
JK Marlow jkm080504_018
May Swain County NC
Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Flowers crowded on branch's upper side, with spreading petals & dark anthers, per Wildflowers of Tennessee (Carman, 2005).
JK Marlow jkm100626_150
June Avery County NC
The Roan Highlands
Leaves in whorls of 3, rarely 2 or 4 or decussate, per Flora of North America.
Floristic Synthesis of North America. BONAP (Kartesz, 2021)
Flora of North America north of Mexico, vol. 8
Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Native to the Carolinas & Georgia
Common in Mountains of GA & NC, common in NC Piedmont (rare elsewhere in GA-NC-SC)
CLICK HERE to see a map, notes, and images from Weakley's Flora of the Southeastern US.
Click here to see a map showing all occurrences known to SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria. (Zoom in to see more detail.)
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- Gardening with the Native Plants of Tennessee (Hunter, 2002) p170
- Great Smoky Mountains Wildflowers (Campbell, Hutson, Sharp, & Hutson, 1962) p026
- Newcomb's Wildflower Guide (Newcomb, 1977) p272
- Field Guide to the Rare Plants of Georgia (Chafin, 2007) p351
- Wildflowers of the Atlantic Southeast (Cotterman, Waitt, & Weakley, 2019) p107
- Wildflowers of the Eastern United States (Duncan & Duncan, 1999) p022
- Wild Flowers of NC, 2nd edition (Justice, Bell, & Lindsey, 2005) p098
- Field Guide to the Wildflowers of Georgia (Chafin, 2016) p162
- Wildflowers of Tennessee (Carman, 2005) p108
- Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians (Horn, Cathcart, Hemmerly, & Duhl, 2005) p137
- Wildflowers of the Southern Mountains (Smith, 1998) p063
If a search such as "Carex leptalea var. leptalea" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "Carex leptalea".
Or, to minimize chances of a misspelling, try just "Carex le".
Less is more: If "pencil flower" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "pencil".
Or try alternate spellings: If "wooly" doesn't work, try "woolly" or just "wool".