Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Asterids: Lamiids: Lamiales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Check out EDDMapS.org to see where this has been reported.
Read more about Verbascum at Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
SYNONYMOUS WITH Flora of North America north of Mexico, vol. 17 (2019)
Verbascum thapsus ssp. thapsus
INCLUDED WITHIN VASCULAR FLORA OF THE CAROLINAS (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968) 166-12-003:
Verbascum thapsus FAMILY Scrophulariaceae
INCLUDED WITHIN Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Woolly Mullein, Common Mullein, Flannel-plant, Velvet-plant
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
JK Marlow jkm0404g_37
April Haywood County NC
Leaves densely woolly hairy, in a basal rosette & alternate spiral on stem, per Forest Plants of the Southeast and Their Wildlife Uses (Miller & Miller, 2005).
JK Marlow jkm150607_260
June McDowell County? NC
Blue Ridge Parkway
Basal & lower stem leaves with blades basally attenuate (vs. V. phlomoides distinctly petiolate), per Weakley's Flora (2023).
Gill Newberry gn07_v_thapsis_flowers
Inflorescence dense and spike-like (at least initially), per Weakley's Flora (2023).
JK Marlow jkm220722_9281
July Greenville County SC
Tall Pines Wildlife Management Area
Middle to upper stem leaves sessile, decurrent down the stem to the next leaf, per Weakley's Flora (2023).
JK Marlow jkm230808_4812
August Greenville County SC
Glassy Mountain Heritage Preserve
Corolla yellow and 5-lobed, 15-25mm wide, within woolly 5-lobed sepals, per Forest Plants of the Southeast and Their Wildlife Uses (Miller & Miller, 2005).
COMPARE Clasping Mullein, Moth Mullein, Wand Mullein, and Woolly Mullein
Flora of North America north of Mexico, vol. 17
Verbascum thapsus ssp. thapsus
Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Habitat: Fields, roadsides, disturbed areas, sometimes weedy on rock outcrops, per Weakley's Flora
CLICK HERE to see a map, notes, and images from Weakley's Flora of the Southeastern US.
Click here to see a map showing all occurrences known to SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria. (Zoom in to see more detail.)
This plant may be causing problems in natural areas outside its native range, according to authorities such as:
- Georgia Exotic Pest Plant Council, 2006
- Kentucky Exotic Pest Plant Council, 2013
- Tennessee Exotic Pest Plant Council, 2009
Basal rosette & alternate
Stem leaves sessile
Weakly bilaterally symmetrical
5-parted 2-lipped rotate corolla
5 fertile exserted stamens
Inflorescence a spike
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- Forest Plants of the Southeast and Their Wildlife Uses (Miller & Miller, 2005) p192
- Great Smoky Mountains Wildflowers (Campbell, Hutson, Sharp, & Hutson, 1962) p084
- Guide to the Wildflowers of SC, 1st ed. (Porcher & Rayner, 2001) p396
- Guide to the Wildflowers of SC, 2nd ed. (McMillan, Porcher, Rayner, & White; 2022) p546
- Invasive Plants, Guide to Identification, Impacts and Control (Kaufman & Kaufman, 2007) p270
- Newcomb's Wildflower Guide (Newcomb, 1977) p188
- Wildflowers of the Atlantic Southeast (Cotterman, Waitt, & Weakley, 2019) p222
- Wildflowers of the Carolina Lowcountry (Porcher, 1995) p209
- Wildflowers of the Eastern United States (Duncan & Duncan, 1999) p086
- Wild Flowers of NC, 2nd edition (Justice, Bell, & Lindsey, 2005) p224
- Field Guide to the Wildflowers of Georgia (Chafin, 2016) p334
- Wildflowers of Tennessee (Carman, 2005) p248
- Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians (Horn, Cathcart, Hemmerly, & Duhl, 2005) p291
- Wildflowers & Plant Communities of the Southern Appalachian Mountains and Piedmont (Spira, 2011) p464
- Wildflowers of the Southern Mountains (Smith, 1998) p152
- Weeds of Southern Turfgrasses (Murphy et al., 1992) p186
If a search such as "Carex leptalea var. leptalea" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "Carex leptalea".
Or, to minimize chances of a misspelling, try just "Carex le".
Less is more: If "pencil flower" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "pencil".