Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Caryophyllales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Read more about Pink Sundew at Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
Pink Sundew, Bog Sundew
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
JK Marlow jkm0505q_37
May Williamsburg County SC
Plant is red in full sun and up to 2" in diameter. — Patrick McMillan
Kevin Adams kcadroseracapillaris_27
Croatan National Forest
Leaves obovate to spatulate, petioles equal to or slightly longer than blades, per Vascular Flora of the Carolinas.
Kevin Adams kcadroseracapillaris_w10
May Brunswick County NC
Petioles not filiform, less than 2cm long, per Vascular Flora of the Carolinas.
Patrick D. McMillan pdmdcapillaris_moultrie2
May Berkeley County SC
Flowers borne on a 1.5-9" threadlike scape that lacks gland-tipped hairs, per Atlantic Coastal Plain Wildflowers.
Native to the Carolinas & Georgia
Documented growing wild in GA NC SC
Common (rare in Piedmont)
Look for it in pine savannas, other wet sandy or peaty sites, per Weakley's Flora
5 persistent sepals
5 persistent petals
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- Atlantic Coastal Plain Wildflowers p081
- Wildflowers of the Atlantic Southeast p371
- Wildflowers of the Eastern United States p022
- Wildflowers of Tennessee p071
- Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians p094
- Wildflowers of the Southern Mountains p063
- Wildflowers of the Sandhills Region p176