Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Asterids: Lamiids: Lamiales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Read more about Diabase Woodmint at Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
SYNONYMOUS WITH Floristic Synthesis of North America. BONAP (Kartesz, 2021)
SYNONYMOUS WITH VASCULAR FLORA OF THE CAROLINAS (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968) 164-24-002:
Blephilia ciliata FAMILY Lamiaceae
SYNONYMOUS WITH Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Diabase Woodmint, Horsemint, Downy Woodmint
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
Alan S. Weakley asw_236317312365447
May Granville County NC
Plants densely canescent; leaf apices obtuse, per Weakley's Flora (2023).
Alan S. Weakley asw_6103297366463971
May Granville County NC
Live plants typically without minty odor (or tending towards oregano-like), per Weakley's Flora (2023).
Richard and Teresa Ware rtw_blephilia_ciliata_5
Leaves lanceolate to elliptic, often curving downward, per Forest Plants of the Southeast and Their Wildlife Uses (Miller & Miller, 2005).
Richard and Teresa Ware rtw_b_ciliata_downy
Two to six dense whorls of flowers encircle square hairy stems at intervals, per Forest Plants of the Southeast and Their Wildlife Uses (Miller & Miller, 2005).
Floristic Synthesis of North America. BONAP (Kartesz, 2021)
Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Native to the Carolinas & Georgia
Common in Piedmont (rare elsewhere in GA-NC-SC)
CLICK HERE to see a map, notes, and images from Weakley's Flora of the Southeastern US.
Click here to see a map showing all occurrences known to SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria. (Zoom in to see more detail.)
Lavender (rarely white)
2-lipped 4-lobed corolla
2 exserted stamens
Schizocarp of mericarps
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- Forest Plants of the Southeast and Their Wildlife Uses (Miller & Miller, 2005) p022
- Gardening with Native Plants of the South (Wasowski & Wasowski, 1994, 2020) p140
- Gardening with the Native Plants of Tennessee (Hunter, 2002) p111
- Guide to the Wildflowers of SC (Porcher & Rayner, 2001) p216
- Newcomb's Wildflower Guide (Newcomb, 1977) p084
- Wildflowers of the Atlantic Southeast (Cotterman, Waitt, & Weakley, 2019) p390
- Wildflowers of the Eastern United States (Duncan & Duncan, 1999) p082
- Field Guide to the Wildflowers of Georgia (Chafin, 2016) p229
- Wildflowers of Tennessee (Carman, 2005) p217
- Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians (Horn, Cathcart, Hemmerly, & Duhl, 2005) p257
- Wildflowers of the Southern Mountains (Smith, 1998) p140
If a search such as "Carex leptalea var. leptalea" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "Carex leptalea".
Or, to minimize chances of a misspelling, try just "Carex le".
Less is more: If "pencil flower" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "pencil".
Or try alternate spellings: If "wooly" doesn't work, try "woolly" or just "wool".