Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Asterids: Campanulids: Aquifoliales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
You may also want to check Trees, Shrubs, and Woody Vines of North Carolina
Read more about Sarvis Holly at Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
SYNONYMOUS WITH VASCULAR FLORA OF THE CAROLINAS (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968) 112-01-005:
Ilex amelanchier FAMILY Aquifoliaceae
SYNONYMOUS WITH Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Native to the Carolinas & Georgia
CLICK HERE to see a map, notes, and images from Weakley's Flora of the Southeastern US.
Click here to see a map showing all occurrences known to SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria. (Zoom in to see more detail.)
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- Native Shrubs and Woody Vines of the Southeast (Foote & Jones, 1989) p087
- Native Trees of the Southeast, An Identification Guide (Kirkman, Brown, & Leopold, 2007) p075
- Trees of the Southeastern United States (Duncan & Duncan, 1988) p306
- Woody Plants of the Southeastern US: A Winter Guide (Lance, 2004) p176
- Wildflowers of the Sandhills Region (Sorrie, 2011) p247
If a search such as "Carex leptalea var. leptalea" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "Carex leptalea".
Or, to minimize chances of a misspelling, try just "Carex le".
Less is more: If "pencil flower" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "pencil".