Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Rosids: Malvids: Myrtales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Read more about Yellow Meadowbeauty at Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
SYNONYMOUS WITH Flora of North America
SYNONYMOUS WITH VASCULAR FLORA OF THE CAROLINAS (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968) 136-01-003:
Rhexia lutea FAMILY Melastomataceae
SYNONYMOUS WITH Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Yellow Meadowbeauty, Golden Meadowbeauty
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
Will Stuart wil_8468925506_a1ac1c4cce
June Charleston County SC
Santee Coastal Reserve
Flowers grow in an elongate branched inflorescence from upper leaf axils, per Wildflowers of the Sandhills Region (Sorrie, 2011).
Richard and Teresa Ware rtw_rhexia_lutea_6
The only yellow-flowered Rhexia and also our most bushy-branched species, per Weakley's Flora (2022).
Richard and Teresa Ware rtw_rhexia_lutea_c
Petals obovate to broadly elliptical, each petal oblique. Anthers straight, per Wildflowers of the Sandhills Region (Sorrie, 2011).
Flora of North America
Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Native to the Carolinas & Georgia
Common in GA Coastal Plain (uncommon in Carolinas)
CLICK HERE to see a map, notes, and images from Weakley's Flora of the Southeastern US.
Click here to see a map showing all occurrences known to SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria. (Zoom in to see more detail.)
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- All About South Carolina Wildflowers (Midgley, 1999) p237
- Guide to the Wildflowers of SC, 2nd ed. (McMillan, Porcher, Rayner, & White; 2022) p371
- Wildflowers of the Atlantic Southeast (Cotterman, Waitt, & Weakley, 2019) p239
- Wildflowers of the Carolina Lowcountry (Porcher, 1995) p177
- Wildflowers of the Eastern United States (Duncan & Duncan, 1999) p055
- Wild Flowers of NC, 2nd edition (Justice, Bell, & Lindsey, 2005) p159
- Field Guide to the Wildflowers of Georgia (Chafin, 2016) p259
- Wildflowers of the Sandhills Region (Sorrie, 2011) p190
If a search such as "Carex leptalea var. leptalea" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "Carex leptalea".
Or, to minimize chances of a misspelling, try just "Carex le".
Less is more: If "pencil flower" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "pencil".