Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Asterids: Lamiids: Gentianales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Read more about Perennial Sea-pink at Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
INCLUDED WITHIN VASCULAR FLORA OF THE CAROLINAS (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968) 155-01-010a:
Sabatia dodecandra var. dodecandra FAMILY Gentianaceae
SYNONYMOUS WITH Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Perennial Sea-pink, Large Marsh Rose-pink, Marsh Rose-gentian
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
John B. Nelson jbn_7574233136_eb96107d41
July Berkeley County SC
Francis Marion National Forest
Resembling S. foliosa, but 1) leaves shorter than internodes 2) no stolons, per Gentians of the Eastern US (Drake, 2011).
Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Habitat: Tidal brackish and freshwater marshes, per Weakley's Flora
Native to the Carolinas & Georgia
Common in Carolina Coastal Plain, rare in GA
CLICK HERE to see a map, notes, and images from Weakley's Flora of the Southeastern US.
Click here to see a map showing all occurrences known to SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria. (Zoom in to see more detail.)
Opposite (basal rosette absent or withered at flowering)
Pink (rarely white), with a yellow eye sometimes bordered in red
6-10 lobed calyx
10(+)lobed rotate corolla
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- Gentians of the Eastern US (Drake, 2011) p174
- Guide to the Wildflowers of SC (Porcher & Rayner, 2001) p328
- Wildflowers of the Atlantic Southeast (Cotterman, Waitt, & Weakley, 2019) p380
- Wildflowers of the Carolina Lowcountry (Porcher, 1995) p103
- Wildflowers of the Eastern United States (Duncan & Duncan, 1999) p063
- Wild Flowers of NC, 2nd edition (Justice, Bell, & Lindsey, 2005) p196
- Field Guide to the Wildflowers of Georgia (Chafin, 2016) p217
If a search such as "Carex leptalea var. leptalea" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "Carex leptalea".
Or, to minimize chances of a misspelling, try just "Carex le".
Less is more: If "pencil flower" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "pencil".
Or try alternate spellings: If "wooly" doesn't work, try "woolly" or just "wool".