Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Asterids: Lamiids: Gentianales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Read more about Perennial Sea-pink at Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
Perennial Sea-pink, Large Marsh Rose-pink, Marsh Rose-gentian
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
John B. Nelson jbn_7574233136_eb96107d41
July Berkeley County SC
Francis Marion National Forest
Resembling S. foliosa, but 1) leaves shorter than internodes 2) no stolons, per Gentians of the Eastern US.
Native to the Carolinas & Georgia
Documented growing wild in GA NC SC
Common (rare in GA)
Look for it in tidal brackish & freshwater marshes, per Weakley's Flora
Opposite (basal rosette absent or withered at flowering)
Pink (rarely white), with a yellow eye sometimes bordered in red
6-10 lobed calyx
10(+)lobed rotate corolla
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- Gentians of the Eastern US p174
- Guide to the Wildflowers of SC p328
- Wildflowers of the Atlantic Southeast p380
- Wildflowers of the Carolina Lowcountry p103
- Wildflowers of the Eastern United States p063
- Wild Flowers of NC, 2nd edition p196