Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Asterids: Lamiids: Gentianales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Read more about Aquatic Milkweed at Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
See diagrams of milkweed flower structure at Wayne's Word.
SYNONYMOUS WITH VASCULAR FLORA OF THE CAROLINAS (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968) 157-01-002:
Asclepias perennis FAMILY Asclepiadaceae
SYNONYMOUS WITH Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Swamp Milkweed, Swampforest Milkweed, Swamp White Milkweed, Aquatic Milkweed
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
John B. Nelson jbn_5745134374_99a0cca6bf
Flowers in 1-2" wide axillary umbels, hoods with prominent protruding horns, per Atlantic Coastal Plain Wildflowers (Nelson, 2006).
JK Marlow jkm190702_9701
July Greenville County SC
The 12-24" stems are conspicuously leafy, per Atlantic Coastal Plain Wildflowers (Nelson, 2006).
JK Marlow jkm190702_9702
July Greenville County SC
Leaves elliptic to lanceolate, 6-12cm long, 1-3cm wide, per Vascular Flora of the Carolinas (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968).
Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Native to the Carolinas & Georgia
Common in Coastal Plain of GA & SC (rare in NC)
CLICK HERE to see a map, notes, and images from Weakley's Flora of the Southeastern US.
Click here to see a map showing all occurrences known to SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria. (Zoom in to see more detail.)
DOES THE PLANT HAVE "MILKY SAP"?
Has milky sap (latex)
Leaves have petioles.
5-lobed corolla, lobes reflexed
Flowers in 2-4 umbels, from upper leaf axils or appearing terminal
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- All About South Carolina Wildflowers (Midgley, 1999) p110
- Atlantic Coastal Plain Wildflowers (Nelson, 2006) p113
- Wildflowers of the Atlantic Southeast (Cotterman, Waitt, & Weakley, 2019) p127
- Wildflowers of the Carolina Lowcountry (Porcher, 1995) p125
- Wildflowers of the Eastern United States (Duncan & Duncan, 1999) p067
- Field Guide to the Wildflowers of Georgia (Chafin, 2016) p050
- Wildflowers of Tennessee (Carman, 2005) p191
- Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians (Horn, Cathcart, Hemmerly, & Duhl, 2005) p228
If a search such as "Carex leptalea var. leptalea" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "Carex leptalea".
Or, to minimize chances of a misspelling, try just "Carex le".
Less is more: If "pencil flower" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "pencil".