Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Asterids: Lamiids: Gentianales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Read more about Green Milkweed at Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
See diagrams of milkweed flower structure at Wayne's Word.
SYNONYMOUS WITH VASCULAR FLORA OF THE CAROLINAS (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968) 157-01-019:
Asclepias viridiflora FAMILY Asclepiadaceae
SYNONYMOUS WITH Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Glade Milkweed, Green Milkweed
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
Terry Holdsclaw tdh_a_viridiflora_4
July Iredell County NC
Umbels are densely flowered and arise from the upper leaf axils, per Wildflowers of Tennessee (Carman, 2005).
Richard and Teresa Ware rtw_a_viridiflora_14a
Corolla lobes strongly reflexed; hoods long, narrow & erect; horns absent, per Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians (Horn, Cathcart, Hemmerly, & Duhl, 2005).
Terry Holdsclaw tdh_a_viridiflora_2
August Iredell County NC
Follicles erect, 9-13cm long, 1-2cm broad, per Vascular Flora of the Carolinas (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968).
Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Native to the Carolinas & Georgia
Uncommon (rare in Coastal Plain)
CLICK HERE to see a map, notes, and images from Weakley's Flora of the Southeastern US.
Click here to see a map showing all occurrences known to SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria. (Zoom in to see more detail.)
DOES THE PLANT HAVE "MILKY SAP"?
Has milky sap (latex)
Leaves have petioles.
5-lobed corolla, lobes strongly reflexed
Flowers in 1-6 umbels from upper leaf axils
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- Guide to the Wildflowers of SC, 2nd ed. (McMillan, Porcher, Rayner, & White; 2022) p263
- Wildflowers of the Atlantic Southeast (Cotterman, Waitt, & Weakley, 2019) p457
- Wildflowers of the Eastern United States (Duncan & Duncan, 1999) p070
- Wildflowers in the Field and Forest: Northeastern US (Clemants & Gracie, 2006) p246
- Field Guide to the Wildflowers of Georgia (Chafin, 2016) p053
- Wildflowers of Tennessee (Carman, 2005) p194
- Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians (Horn, Cathcart, Hemmerly, & Duhl, 2005) p231
- Wildflowers of the Southern Mountains (Smith, 1998) p129
If a search such as "Carex leptalea var. leptalea" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "Carex leptalea".
Or, to minimize chances of a misspelling, try just "Carex le".
Less is more: If "pencil flower" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "pencil".