Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Caryophyllales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Read more about Dwarf Sundew at Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
Dwarf Sundew, Early Sundew
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
JK Marlow jkm060423_112
April Berkeley-Charleston Counties SC
Francis Marion National Forest
Leaves obovate to spatulate, cuneate, 7-16mm long including indistinct petiole, per Vascular Flora of the Carolinas.
Richard and Teresa Ware rtw_d_brevifolia_dwarf_7
The flowering scape of D. brevifolia has gland-tipped hairs, per Atlantic Coastal Plain Wildflowers.
Native to the Carolinas & Georgia
Documented growing wild in GA NC SC
Common in Coastal Plain (rare elsewhere)
NEW! Click here to see a range map (and maybe identification notes) from Weakley's Flora of the Southeastern US.
Click here to see a map showing all occurrences known to SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria. (Zoom in to see more detail.)
White or tinged w Pink
5 persistent sepals
5 persistent petals
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- Atlantic Coastal Plain Wildflowers p081
- Guide to the Wildflowers of SC p260
- Wildflowers of the Atlantic Southeast p141
- Wildflowers of the Carolina Lowcountry p176
- Wildflowers of the Eastern United States p022
- Wildflowers of Tennessee p071
- Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians p094
- Wildflowers of the Sandhills Region p177