Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Asterids: Lamiids: Lamiales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Check out EDDMapS.org to see where this has been reported.
Read more about Purple Deadnettle at Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
SYNONYMOUS WITH VASCULAR FLORA OF THE CAROLINAS (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968) 164-19-002:
Lamium purpureum FAMILY Lamiaceae
SYNONYMOUS WITH Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Purple Deadnettle, Red Deadnettle, Purple Archangel
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
Gill Newberry gn03_l_purpureum_inf_2
Corolla 2-lipped: upper hoodlike, lower with 2 lateral lobes, per Vascular Flora of the Carolinas (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968).
Richard and Teresa Ware rtw_l_purpureum_1b
Leaves heart-shaped with coarse rounded teeth, petioled, per Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians (Horn, Cathcart, Hemmerly, & Duhl, 2005).
Gill Newberry gn04_l_purpureum_habitat
Whorls of flowers subtended by petioled, reflexed leaves, per Vascular Flora of the Carolinas (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968).
JK Marlow jkm0404b_27b
April Haywood County NC
Leaves concentrated on upper stem where they are strongly tinged with purple, per Wildflowers of the Southern Mountains (Smith, 1998).
Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Habitat: Lawns, fields, roadsides, disturbed areas, pastures, per Weakley's Flora
Common (rare in GA Coastal Plain)
CLICK HERE to see a map, notes, and images from Weakley's Flora of the Southeastern US.
Click here to see a map showing all occurrences known to SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria. (Zoom in to see more detail.)
This plant may be causing problems in natural areas outside its native range, according to authorities such as:
2-lipped corolla, upper hood-like, lower two-lobed
4 stamens, arched under the corolla's upper lip
Schizocarp of mericarps
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- Guide to the Wildflowers of SC, 2nd ed. (McMillan, Porcher, Rayner, & White; 2022) p525
- Newcomb's Wildflower Guide (Newcomb, 1977) p086
- Wildflowers of the Atlantic Southeast (Cotterman, Waitt, & Weakley, 2019) p324
- Wildflowers of the Eastern United States (Duncan & Duncan, 1999) p081
- Field Guide to the Wildflowers of Georgia (Chafin, 2016) p235
- Wildflowers of Tennessee (Carman, 2005) p221
- Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians (Horn, Cathcart, Hemmerly, & Duhl, 2005) p262
- Wildflowers of the Southern Mountains (Smith, 1998) p145
- Weeds of Southern Turfgrasses (Murphy et al., 1992) p132
If a search such as "Carex leptalea var. leptalea" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "Carex leptalea".
Or, to minimize chances of a misspelling, try just "Carex le".
Less is more: If "pencil flower" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "pencil".