Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Asterids: Ericales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Read more about Coastal Doghobble at Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
SYNONYMOUS WITH Flora of North America
SYNONYMOUS WITH VASCULAR FLORA OF THE CAROLINAS (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968) 145-12-002a:
Leucothoe axillaris var. axillaris FAMILY Ericaceae
SYNONYMOUS WITH Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
Joanna Thurman bjt_laxillaris_20170306
March Horry County SC
Leaves obtuse or acute to short-acuminate [vs. L. fontanesiana long-acuminate], per Weakley's Flora.
Joanna Thurman bjt_laxillaris_20170306_b
March Horry County SC
Racemes with 8-44 flowers; sepals ovate, with an obtuse or rounded apex, per Weakley's Flora (2015).
Flora of North America
Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Native to the Carolinas & Georgia
Common in Coastal Plain (rare in Piedmont)
CLICK HERE to see a map, notes, and images from Weakley's Flora of the Southeastern US.
Click here to see a map showing all occurrences known to SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria. (Zoom in to see more detail.)
5-lobed urceolate corolla
Flowers in axillary racemes, usually more than 15-flowered
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- Forest Plants of the Southeast and Their Wildlife Uses (Miller & Miller, 2005) p358
- Gardening with Native Plants of the South (Wasowski & Wasowski, 1994, 2020) p090
- Guide to the Wildflowers of SC, 1st ed. (Porcher & Rayner, 2001) p298
- Guide to the Wildflowers of SC, 2nd ed. (McMillan, Porcher, Rayner, & White; 2022) p450
- Native Shrubs and Woody Vines of the Southeast (Foote & Jones, 1989) p112
- Wildflowers of the Carolina Lowcountry (Porcher, 1995) p129
- Field Guide to the Wildflowers of Georgia (Chafin, 2016) p170
- Woody Plants of the Southeastern US: A Winter Guide (Lance, 2004) p190
- Wildflowers of the Sandhills Region (Sorrie, 2011) p237
If a search such as "Carex leptalea var. leptalea" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "Carex leptalea".
Or, to minimize chances of a misspelling, try just "Carex le".
Less is more: If "pencil flower" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "pencil".