Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Asterids: Lamiids: Lamiales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Read more about Scarlet Beebalm at Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
Scarlet Beebalm, Oswego Tea
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
JK Marlow jkm0305o_20
May Haywood County NC
Corneille Bryan Native Garden
Leaves ovate to deltoid-ovate to lanceolate, serrate, base nearly rounded, per Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians.
Craig Myers cam_red
Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Monarda was widely used as a source of tea after the Boston Tea Party, per Wildflowers & Plant Communities of the Southern Appalachian Mountains and Piedmont.
Gill Newberry gn07_monard_didyma_inf
Showy reddish bracts, per Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians.
Patrick D. McMillan pdmmdidyma_brp90
Month Unknown NC
Blue Ridge Parkway
Corolla odorless, upper lip nearly straight, with no obvious tuft of hairs, per Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians.
Native to the Carolinas
NEW! Click here to see a map from Weakley's Flora of the Southeastern US showing range and abundance.
Click here to see a map showing all occurrences known to SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria. (Zoom in to see more detail.)
Leaves have petioles.
2-lipped tubular corolla
2 exserted stamens
Schizocarp of mericarps
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- All About South Carolina Wildflowers p205
- Gardening with Native Plants of the South p151
- Gardening with the Native Plants of Tennessee p151
- Great Smoky Mountains Wildflowers p114
- Newcomb's Wildflower Guide p092
- Southern Appalachian Wildflowers p179
- Wildflowers of the Atlantic Southeast p324
- Wildflowers of the Eastern United States p082
- Wild Flowers of NC, 1st edition p164
- Wild Flowers of NC, 2nd edition p218
- Wildflowers of Tennessee p223
- Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians p264
- Wildflowers & Plant Communities of the Southern Appalachian Mountains and Piedmont p406
- Wildflowers of the Southern Mountains p140