Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Asterids: Lamiids: Gentianales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Read more about Pennywort at Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
Pennywort, Virginia Pennywort
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
JK Marlow jkm140322_315b
March Oconee County SC
Oconee Station/Station Cove
Flowers approximately 12mm long, four-lobed with pointed tips, per Gentians of the Eastern US.
JK Marlow jkm090404_331
April Walker County GA
Flowers subtended by obovate, wedge-shaped greenish-purple bracts of leaves, per Gentians of the Eastern US.
JK Marlow jkm150423_606
April Sevier County TN
Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Leaves thick and fleshy, greenish to greenish-purple, and 7-14mm long, per Gentians of the Eastern US.
Patrick D. McMillan pdmovirginica_jocassee
April Pickens County SC
Funnel-shaped corolla cleft to about the middle with 4 pointed lobes, per Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians.
Native to the Carolinas & Georgia
Documented growing wild in GA NC SC
Common (rare in Coastal Plain south of VA, uncommon in GA Piedmont)
Calyx absent, flower subtended by 2 foliaceous bracts
4-lobed funnelform corolla
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- Gentians of the Eastern US p144
- Guide to the Wildflowers of SC p188
- Newcomb's Wildflower Guide p158
- Wildflowers of the Atlantic Southeast p103
- Wildflowers of the Carolina Lowcountry p135
- Wild Flowers of NC, 1st edition p149
- Wild Flowers of NC, 2nd edition p199
- Wildflowers of Tennessee p187
- Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians p222
- Wildflowers of the Southern Mountains p124