Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Rosids: Malvids: Myrtales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Read more about Northern Sundrops at Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
Northern Sundrops, Appalachian Sundrops
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
JK Marlow jkm070611_073
June Henderson County NC
Petals yellow, to 1" long, per Guide to the Wildflowers of SC.
Patrick D. McMillan pdmotetragona_trsp7
June Pickens County SC
Table Rock State Park
Hypanthium present, prolonged above the inferior ovary as a calyx tube, per Vascular Flora of the Carolinas.
Patrick D. McMillan pdmotetragona_brp1
Blue Ridge Parkway
Inflorescence usually erect. Petals (8-)15-35mm long, per Weakley's Flora.
Native to the Carolinas & Georgia
Click here to see a map showing all occurrences known to SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria. (Zoom in to see more detail.)
8 exserted stamens
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- Gardening with Native Plants of the South p152
- Gardening with the Native Plants of Tennessee p153
- Guide to the Wildflowers of SC p113
- Newcomb's Wildflower Guide p134?
- Wildflowers of the Eastern United States p056?
- Wildflowers of Tennessee p152?
- Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians p188?
- Wildflowers of the Southern Mountains p108