Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Caryophyllales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Check out EDDMapS.org to see where this has been reported.
Read more about Common Chickweed at Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
SYNONYMOUS WITH Flora of North America north of Mexico, vol. 5 (2005)
INCLUDED WITHIN VASCULAR FLORA OF THE CAROLINAS (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968) 071-07-002:
Stellaria media FAMILY Caryophyllaceae
INCLUDED WITHIN Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
JK Marlow jkm0403n_30
March Greenville County SC
Upper leaves without petiole; lower leaves with sparsely hairy long petiole, per Weeds of Southern Turfgrasses (Murphy et al., 1992).
Richard and Teresa Ware rtw_s_media_commonchickwd
Sepals usually glandular-hairy w obtuse apex, longer than or equaling petals, per Flora of North America.
Richard and Teresa Ware rtw_stellaria_meadia_3
Three stigmas, red anthers, and 5 two-lobed petals (looking like 10 petals), per Atlantic Coastal Plain Wildflowers (Nelson, 2006).
Flora of North America north of Mexico, vol. 5
Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Habitat: Disturbed areas, gardens, fields, bottomlands, moist forests, per Weakley's Flora
CLICK HERE to see a map, notes, and images from Weakley's Flora of the Southeastern US.
Click here to see a map showing all occurrences known to SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria. (Zoom in to see more detail.)
This plant may be causing problems in natural areas outside its native range, according to authorities such as:
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- Atlantic Coastal Plain Wildflowers (Nelson, 2006) p121
- Guide to the Wildflowers of SC, 1st ed. (Porcher & Rayner, 2001) p365
- Guide to the Wildflowers of SC, 2nd ed. (McMillan, Porcher, Rayner, & White; 2022) p235
- Guide to the Wildflowers of SC, 2nd ed. (McMillan, Porcher, Rayner, & White; 2022) p524
- Newcomb's Wildflower Guide (Newcomb, 1977) p274
- Wildflowers of the Atlantic Southeast (Cotterman, Waitt, & Weakley, 2019) p133
- Wildflowers of the Carolina Lowcountry (Porcher, 1995) p193
- Wildflowers of the Eastern United States (Duncan & Duncan, 1999) p009
- Wildflowers in the Field and Forest: Northeastern US (Clemants & Gracie, 2006) p328
- Wildflowers of Tennessee (Carman, 2005) p059
- Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians (Horn, Cathcart, Hemmerly, & Duhl, 2005) p081
- Wildflowers of the Southern Mountains (Smith, 1998) p041
- Weeds of Southern Turfgrasses (Murphy et al., 1992) p080
If a search such as "Carex leptalea var. leptalea" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "Carex leptalea".
Or, to minimize chances of a misspelling, try just "Carex le".
Less is more: If "pencil flower" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "pencil".