Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Rosids: Fabids: Malpighiales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Check out EDDMapS.org to see where this has been reported.
Read more about White Poplar at Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
SYNONYMOUS WITH Flora of North America north of Mexico, vol. 7 (2010)
SYNONYMOUS WITH VASCULAR FLORA OF THE CAROLINAS (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968) 051-02-003:
Populus alba FAMILY Salicaceae
SYNONYMOUS WITH Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
White Poplar, Silver Poplar
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
Terry Holdsclaw tdh_populus_alba_1
Catawba County NC
Leaves white-felted hairy beneath; margin has fewer than 15 teeth per side, per Trees of the Southeastern United States (Duncan & Duncan, 1988).
Terry Holdsclaw tdh_populus_alba_2
April Catawba County NC
Both pistillate & staminate trees may be encountered, but rarely together, per Woody Plants of the Southeastern US: A Winter Guide (Lance, 2004).
Flora of North America north of Mexico, vol. 7
Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Uncommon (rare in GA & SC Coastal Plain)
CLICK HERE to see a map, notes, and images from Weakley's Flora of the Southeastern US.
Click here to see a map showing all occurrences known to SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria. (Zoom in to see more detail.)
This plant is causing problems in natural areas outside its native range, according to authorities such as:
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden
- Kentucky Exotic Pest Plant Council, 2013
- SC Exotic Pest Plant Council, 2014
- Tennessee Exotic Pest Plant Council, 2009
- US Forest Service Southern Research Station
- Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation, 2014
Flowers in catkins, inflorescence pendulous
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- Invasive Plants, Guide to Identification, Impacts and Control (Kaufman & Kaufman, 2007) p110
- Identifying Trees: An All-Season Guide to Eastern North America (Williams, 2007) p352
- Native Trees of the Southeast, An Identification Guide (Kirkman, Brown, & Leopold, 2007) p351
- Trees of the Southeastern United States (Duncan & Duncan, 1988) p114
- Woody Plants of the Blue Ridge (Lance) p46
- Woody Plants of the Southeastern US: A Winter Guide (Lance, 2004) p246
If a search such as "Carex leptalea var. leptalea" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "Carex leptalea".
Or, to minimize chances of a misspelling, try just "Carex le".
Less is more: If "pencil flower" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "pencil".
Or try alternate spellings: If "wooly" doesn't work, try "woolly" or just "wool".